This page is under construction.
Do not disturb the builders while they ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Planet Simulator is a sandbox tool where you design your own planet within realistic boundaries.
Step 1: Configure Mass, Radius and Density
The first thing you do is configure Mass, Radius and Density of the planet:
- Increasing Mass increases Radius and Density but with a balenced ration
- Increasing Radius decreases Density
- Increasing Density decreases Radius
Mass is in the range of 1 Mimas to 12 Jupiters, Density is in the range of 0.5 g/cm^3 to 50 g/cm^3.
Step 1.1: Oblateness
This is what makes the planet more oval-shaped, You can only use this feature for planets under 1 Lunar Mass. The oval can be from 0: A perfect Sphere to 1: an oval with the horizontal diameter twice as large as the verticle diameter.
The only way you can make bigger planets oval-shaped is speed up the rotational period, but that only lets it go up to 0.1.
Step 2: Orbital Characteristics
- Set the Axial Tilt: Min 0°, Max 180°
- Set the rotational period of the planet: Min: 1 hour, Max: 1 year. There is also an option to "Tidal Lock"
Step 3: Atmosphere
- Atmosphere Pressure: Max 150 Bar for 1 Earth Mass. About 15 Bar for 1 Mars Mass. Maximum limit increases/decreases as you go up/down. Maximum Limit is removed if the planet becomes 5 Earth Masses or bigger.
- Surface Temperature: Max 1500°C, Min -200°C. Temperatures for Mantle and Core are seperate and increase depending on
- Oxygen - White
- Nitrogen - Blue
- Hydrogen - Baige
- Helium - Light Grey
- Water Vapour - White
- Methane - Cyan
- Ethane - Blue
- Sulphur - Yellow
- Carbon Dioxide - Baige
- Neon - Glowing Red
- Argon - Light Lilac
Transparency decreases as pressure increases, compositions are only available at the temperature that they are gas. Height increases as Planetry Mass increases.
To make a gas giant, you must:
- Make the planet 5 Earth Masses or bigger
- Increase the pressure to 751 Bars or higher to make enter it into Gas Giant mode.
Step 4: Internal Structure
On this step, you can mess with the Planet's composition with these factors and each layer (except Radioactives and Carbon) sit on top of each other:
- Carbon - Max percentage: 95%
- Iron - Max percentage: 95% - Melts at 1500°C - Allows the addition of a Magnetosphere if liquid
- Radioactives - Max percentage: 5% - Melts at 1100°C - Rises temperatures inside the planet, which can let the Mantle and Core melt.
- Silicite - Max percentage: 95% - Melts at 700°C - Allowed Techtonics if it is 500°C to 900°C in the Upper Mantle
- Water - Max percentage: 60% - Melts at 0°C, Boils at 100°C - Allows life if liquid and if it covers 0.1% of the surface
- Methane - Max percentage: 60% - Melts at -182°C, Boils at 161°C - Allows life if liquid and if it covers 0.1% of the surface
Step 2.1: Life
- Allow basic life: Allows basic life, this turns water a slightly purple colour and methane a slightly blue colour
- Allow chlorophyll photosynthesis: Makes water turn a brigter blue, makes methane turn brighter purple. Makes land turn more green around the water.
For this step:
- Atleast 0.1% of surface needs to be covered in liquid Water/Methane
- Between 0.1% and 20% of Carbon in the planet
- Below 2.5% of Radioactives
- No more than 40% of Iron in the composition
- An atmosphere between 0.1 kPa and 500 kPa
- The planet must have an axial tilt between 5° and 40°
- A magnetic field
- More than 5% of Oxygen, Nitrogen and Water Vapour in the atmosphere and trace amounts of Carbon Dioxide, Ozone, Hydrogen.
- Between 4 hours and 40 days rotational period
- Between 0.5 m/s and 50 m/s (Earth is 10 m/s)
All of these will unlock the addition of life and making them more Earthlike will make them grow more and faster.